Camp 4Science is a training and networking event for filmmakers dedicated to developing science documentary projects. Selected participants will get a chance to meet experienced international mentors who will guide them and help them with their film projects. The programme is held in English.
Science documentary films use a unique way of storytelling often involving a presenter or various animation tools which help them in explaining complex scientific phenomena. They require a unique research approach to the issue the documentary presents and particular production planning and funding of these film projects. Therefore, within Camp, the participants focus on the improvement of their storytelling, visual style, filmmaking techniques, themes, production, and distribution strategy. They will also explore the specificity of the international science film market, thematic TV slots, alternative financial sources and distribution outlets. In addition, the participants have a unique chance to enhance their contact base in the field of science and film industry.
Who can apply?
Our 6-day-long training event is dedicated to producers and directors who work on their documentary projects in the development, production or post-production stage. We welcome participants experienced with documentary film production who are willing to learn more about the diverse ways to approach science. Moreover, participants with a science background and/or science communication experience who would like to learn how to communicate their research to the public through documentary filmmaking are also welcome to apply.
We support a wide range of projects with various scientific aspects. From projects focusing on the recent top scientific research targeted at wide audiences to highly artistic films with scientific elements. We are open to topics such as portraits of scientists, wildlife programmes, historical quests with a scientific angle or educational series for children. We encourage applicants to submit projects dealing with any area of human knowledge and research (from philosophy to life sciences). We are open to feature-length films, TV 52’ length formats or series as well as projects with online and game potential.
Six projects will be selected to actively participate in the programme. Camp 4Science will also offer four selected projects the possibility to attend as observers.
What does Camp 4Science offer?
- in-depth group sessions and one-on-one consultations with renown international mentors focused on general questions on the project (main topic, research, scriptwriting, access to the characters and the key science (re)sources, storytelling, visual style, production strategy, financing, and distribution strategy, presentation and pitching techniques) / for participants only
- time and space dedicated to elaborating on the projects (1 pager and trailer/teaser) / for participants only
- case studies and sessions mapping the newest trends, unique approaches to and contemporary situation of the science film production / open for all industry guests
- public presentation of the projects / open for all industry guests
- follow-up one-on-one meetings with the industry guests
SUBMISSION AND PARTICIPATION ARE FREE OF CHARGE:
- Camp 4Science covers accommodation (1 double room) for the whole period of the workshop for each of the selected projects
- Participants cover their travel expenses
- The organizers collect 50 EUR/person as a catering fee that will cover the cost of communal lunches and coffee breaks
- During most of the evenings, there will be catering available for the participants at the networking events
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ivana Formanová / Head of 4Science: email@example.com
Tereza Píchová / Camp 4Science Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions regarding your project or application process or any questions you may have regarding the training event.